The ACRL Research Planning and Review Committee has done a review of the current literature as part f their responsobility for creating and updating a continuous and dynamic environmental scan for the association that encompasses trends in academic librarianship, higher education, and the broader environment.
The top 10 trends are listed in alphabetical order.
• Academic library collection growth is driven by patron demand and will include new resource types.
• Budget challenges will continue and libraries will evolve as a result.
• Changes in higher education will require that librarians possess diverse skill sets.
• Demands for accountability and assessment will increase.
• Digitization of unique library collections will increase and require a larger share of resources.
• Explosive growth of mobile devices and applications will drive new services.
• Increased collaboration will expand the role of the library within the institution and beyond.
• Libraries will continue to lead efforts to develop scholarly communication and intellectual property services.
• Technology will continue to change services and required skills.
• The definition of the library will change as physical space is repurposed and virtual space expands.