- Technology Trigger: A tech breakthrough gets the ball rolling. Commercial viability is uncertain.
- Peak of Inflated Expectations: Early publicity and a few success stories create buzz. Most implementations do not succeed, however.
- Trough of Disillusionment: Interest wanes as experiments and implementations fail to deliver. Lots of companies fail.
- Slope of Enlightenment: 2nd and 3rd generation versions start to emerge and bigger companies start to fund pilots.
- Plateau of Productivity: Mainstream adoption starts to take off. The technology’s broad market applicability and relevance are clearly paying off.