4 Step Guide to Letting Go of the Past
“We’re constantly struggling with the past, in so many ways:
- Mistakes we’ve made that we regret or that make us feel bad about ourselves
- Anger about something someone did to us
- Frustration about how things have progressed up until now
- A wish that things turned out differently
- Stories about what happened that make us sad, depressed, angry, hurt
- An argument that we had that keeps spinning around in our heads
- Something someone just did (a minute ago) that we’re still stuck on
What if we could just let go of things have have happened, and be present with the unfolding moment instead?
What if we could let the past remain in the past, and unburden ourselves?
What is we could see that our holding onto the past is actually hurting us right now … and look at letting go as a loving act of not hurting ourselves anymore?
It can be done, though it isn’t always easy. Here’s the practice I recommend, in four steps.”
Step 1: See the Story That’s Hurting You
Step 2: Stay with the Physical Feeling
Step 3: Breathe Out, Letting Go
Step 4: Turn with Gratitude Toward the Present